[EM] Condorcet How?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Mar 20 10:53:58 PDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Counting:  Besides the N*N matrix,

i dunno why the common layout of the NxN matrix is popularly used.
it should be like a triangle, e.g. for the 2009 Burlington election:

    M 4064
    K 3477

    M 4597     K 4313
    W 3664     W 4061

    M 4570     K 3944     W 3971
    S 2997     S 3576     S 3793

    M 6263     K 5515     W 5270     S 5570
    H  591     H  844     H 1310     H  721

it seems to me that this is far more easy to see the result of each
pairwize race. it can be easily modified to provide <defeatStrength>
(is that what you mean by margins?).

    M 4064
    K 3477
     < 587>

    M 4597     K 4313
    W 3664     W 4061
     < 933>     < 252>

    M 4570     K 3944     W 3971
    S 2997     S 3576     S 3793
     <1573>     < 368>     < 178>

    M 6263     K 5515     W 5270     S 5570
    H  591     H  844     H 1310     H  721
     <5672>     <4671>     <3960>     <4849>

at a glance, this is much better for my eyes than the NxN matrix that
seems common for Condorcet results.  if you wanted to sort by beat
strength, the data is right there.

> I would add an N array to optimize this.

not sure exactly what that is.

>   Count each ranked candidate in the array.  Later the array will
> be added into the matrix as if the ranked candidates won in every
> one of their pairs.  This is correct for pairs with no ranking, and
> for pairs with one ranked.  For pairs w/winner and loser, give
> loser a negative count to adjust; for ties can leave both winning;
> or mark both losing via negative count.

can you be a little more explicit about this?  i can't tell what this
"negative count" is about.  and why is it needed?  i think that the
RP procedure is pretty well cut-and-dried.  if it were me, i would
not use *any* cycle-breaking procedure unless a cycle exists and then
use whatever resolution (whether it be Tideman or Schulze or whoever).

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com