[EM] Voting systems theory and proportional representation vssimple representation.

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 14:59:34 PST 2010

Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:54 PM
> Abd ul, I agree with virtually all you say that I had time to
> read, but would prefer party list voting over asset voting
> simply because it forces the #1 elector, as you put it, to
> state in advance who he will nominate with any excess votes
> and also in some systems gives the voters a chance to vote
> for changes in the order of the list.  This gives options to
> those voters who are well-informed that asset voting does not.

But these party list voting systems fail to deliver proportionality WITHIN the respective parties.  In some political situations,
achieving the voters' desired proportionality WITHIN a party can be almost as important as achieving proportionality between or
among the parties.

It should also be noted that all party list voting systems reinforce the dominance of the political parties in the whole political
system.  In some political cultures voters already think the political parties are too dominant.

James Gilmour