[EM] Simulating multiwinner goodness

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Mar 11 08:44:44 PST 2010

A couple years ago I moved from the California Democratic Party Machine to the Massachusetts Democratic Party Machine.
I'm not sad when my party wins, I'm sad when they run boring stick-in-the-mud establishmentarian candidates.
I'd love pressure from other parties to keep them honest, and that's what a lot of this whole election method reform thing is about.

Anyway, an election method can't (directly) give me better choices, but just help me and the rest of society choose from the options available at the time. I posit that a better choice method will (eventually) encourage the availability of better choices. The current pick-one-primary and pick-one-general favors the boring old establishment too much. If I can safely vote for the obscure but awesome candidate as my first choice, and the safe establishment choice as second or third, I think we'll se more interesting little guys, and sometimes they'll win.

But we knew all that.
</advocacy>