[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Wed Mar 10 08:20:53 PST 2010

Chris Benham wrote:
> Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote (6 March 2010):
>
> "Another benefit to Ranked Pairs is that you don't have to confuse
> matters with WV versus Margins. "
> <snip>
>
> Kristofer,
>
> Why is that?!   That certainly is a benefit of  Smith//Approval.

It's not the only method where you don't have to, but it is one of them:
I haven't said RP enjoys this advantage over S//A, but that it does over
the methods where you do have to explain WV (or Margins), e.g. Minmax,
least reversals, whatnot.

The other method mentioned in the post I replied to was Schulze, which
what what against which I intended to contrast this benefit. However, on
a second thought, Schulze is kind of on the border. It does create a WV
matrix (called "d", AFAIK), but it does so explicitly as a part of the
method, and so doesn't mention Margins at all.

> <snip>
> "For those that like cute names, the WV version we usually call Ranked
> Pairs has also been called "Maximum Majority Voting"."
> <snip>
>
> Also "Maximum Affirmed Majorities":
>
> http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/
>
> I think the name "Ranked Pairs" normally applies to the Margins version.
Yes, it does; however, on this list, it usually means the WV version.