[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:37:30 PST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM, robert bristow-johnson
<rbj at audioimagination.com> wrote:
> yeah, i guess i'm greedier than that.

Also, it probably depends on how the other voters vote.  If very few
voters actually hit 6, as you say, it is equivalent to multi-seat
approval.

6 seat approval voting should tend to elect centerists.  However, that
assumes a certain degree of strategy.

> but, all i wanted to do is compare the voting experience i have in that
> particular election with what i would imagine is Approval voting.  it feels
> like Approval voting to me with a limit of 6 that i never hit.  now that
> feeling would not be the same if i lived in, say, the "Grand Isle District".

Do you think most people cast all 6 votes?

The fact that one party or other doesn't win all six seats implies
that many voters aren't bloc voting in support of their party.

> also, i just figgered out that the State Senate Districts are not the same
> as counties, because that guy in the Grand Isle District is in my county.
>  so i do not get what the rhyme or reason is the state had in drawing these
> legislative district lines.  they are clearly not drawn with equal
> population in mind and i am not sure what is equivalent for voters in my
> district to be choosing six at-large senators while my neighboring district
> has just one.  the neighboring district has a clear "winner-take-all"
> election and we do not.

The constitution says
"In establishing senatorial districts, which shall afford equality of
representation, the General Assembly shall seek to maintain
geographical compactness and contiguity and to adhere to boundaries of
counties and other existing political subdivisions."

So, it gives a fair amount of flexibility.  They probably have to
justify any given boundary.  Maybe the other district is due to a city
or some other boundary?