[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 9 21:54:24 PST 2010

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote (6 March 2010):

"Another benefit to Ranked Pairs is that you don't have to confuse
matters with WV versus Margins. "
<snip>

Kristofer,

Why is that?!   That certainly is a benefit of  Smith//Approval.

<snip>
"For those that like cute names, the WV version we usually call Ranked
Pairs has also been called "Maximum Majority Voting"."
<snip>

Also "Maximum Affirmed Majorities":

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/

I think the name "Ranked Pairs" normally applies to the Margins version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_Pairs

"The RP procedure is as follows:
	1. Tally the vote count comparing each pair of candidates, and determine the winner of each pair (provided there is not a tie)
	2. Sort (rank) each pair, by the largest margin of victory first to smallest last.
	3. "Lock in" each pair, starting with the one with the largest number of winning votes, and add one in turn to a graph as long as they do not create a cycle (which would create an ambiguity). The completed graph shows the winner. "

Chris Benham