[EM] Smith, FPP fails Minimal Defense and Clone-Winner (was "Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%")

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Mar 9 21:08:21 PST 2010

thanks, Chris. i will ponder this.  i understand RP and (i think)
Schulze, at least how the mechanisms go, but i'll admit i haven't
been as invested in *how* to resolve cycles or *which* Condorcet
method is best as much as i am invested in (some) Condorcet vs. IRV
vs. FPP or two-round runoff.  the reason is that i am skeptical of
the likelihood of a real election with thousands of voters going into
a cycle.

considering both the objective advantages of Schulze and the
simplicity of Ranked Pairs, i think that if Condorcet would ever be
sold to the general population as a method to decide elections for
government, i would suggest Ranked Pairs.  but maybe it should be IRV
(if a cycle) or something wild-assed.  whatever will be needed
politically to get people to buy into Condorcet.

maybe it is, but i don't think that is the same mistake as, when the
Ranked Ballot is introduced to folks in Vermont or Minnesota or San
Francisco or North Carolina, attaching that ranked ballot to the IRV
method of tabulation.  that was a mistake and it doesn't serve as a
stepping stone to better elections with Condorcet (because of
entrenchment of IRV supporters and, i believe, a near certainty of
IRV displaying anomalies that turn everyone off of IRV and, by
association, the Ranked Ballot).

so, keeping RP, Schulze in mind for later, what would be a "good"
scheme for resolving cycles by use of elimination of candidates?
what would be a "good" (that is resistant to more anomalies) and
simple method to identify the "weakest candidate" (in the Smith set)
to eliminate and run the beats-all tabulation again? i'm not saying
elimination is a good way to do it, but it might be easier to sell to
neanderthal voters.

r b-j