[EM] GOLD PLATED

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Mar 7 17:33:28 PST 2010

Abd ul offers Gold Plated advice here!

It is properly our civic duty to vote, and thus our duty to first
determine what candidates can be expected to best serve our needs.

However, if our determining is that voting for some candidates is more
likely to hurt, rather than help, our interests, we must not vote for
such.  Doing a write-in may be helpful if we must reject all nominated
candidates.

On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:15 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%
> At 02:34 PM 3/6/2010, Raph Frank wrote:
>> In any case, you really should cast all 6 votes.
>
> Not necessarily. What if you only recognize the names of three? Or
> what if you only support three and have no opinion on the rest,
> sufficient to prefer one from another? The optimal vote is actually,
> then, to vote just for three. Yes, you are wasting half your voting
> power, but if you don't know what to do with it, using it just
> introduces noise into the system, and might quite possibly be a vote
> cast based on the worst kinds of media manipulation, creating vague
> impressions about candidates not firmly based in fact.

"Wasting" is not the right word.  If you did not see any candidate to
vote for, you had no power to waste - as Abd ul writes, odds are that
voting here is as likely to be destructive as to be productive.