[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sat Mar 6 13:29:16 PST 2010

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:34 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

>> i like Ranked Pairs best, too.  and if the Smith Set are three
>> candidates, it and Shulze pick the same winner.
>
> Matters more that it needs to be explainable in a sales pitch.  Fine
> tuning can wait til later unless there is a major reason why it should
> come up front.

Another benefit to Ranked Pairs is that you don't have to confuse
matters with WV versus Margins. I think you have to add half a point to
equals, explicitly, in order to have Margins RP - or have a different
tiebreak.

For those that like cute names, the WV version we usually call Ranked
Pairs has also been called "Maximum Majority Voting".

In matters of fine-tuning, River is somewhat better than Ranked Pairs,
but it only provides a winner (not a complete ranking), and it is less
well known.