[EM] Burlington Vermont repeals IRV 52% to 48%

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Mar 3 18:13:16 PST 2010

Actually, a chance to move ahead, if we grab it.

IRV lost, and good riddance.

Let us look at an extreme example - not something to expect to be
common, but to clear the air:
      102A>C
      101B>C
      100C - 2/3 like C>A; 2/3 like C>B

IRV has A win for this exact count; B or C as likely for near counts.

Plurality would have expense of a runoff with A or B winning for this
exact count; C could expect to be included in 2/3 of runoffs for near
counts, and win most of those.

Approval is better than Plurality, and properly awards C for being
liked by all.

Condorcet is better for various reasons:
      Looks at all that the voters say, unlike IRV.
      Lets them vote for more than one, unlike Plurality.
      Ranking lets them express relative liking, unlike Approval.  The
ranking is familiar to those having heard of it with IRV - same votes
are permitted, though equal ranking is also permitted here.
      Unlike IRV, all that any collection of ballots (such as for a
precinct) says can be summed in an N*N matrix, and collections of such
matrices (such as for the whole district) can be summed.  Matrix
content can also be released, showing all concerned how liking of
various candidates varies.

Dave Ketchum