[EM] Truncation dilemma

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:33:34 PDT 2010

I realized after sending this message that I was unfair to winning-votes
Condorcet methods like Schulze. After playing around with some scenarios, I
now see that such methods do successfully elect A in spite of B's
truncation. There are a few problems with this, though. The first is
legitimacy: C voters would certainly squeal that they have more first
preferences than A has votes. The second is, what if the truncation was
honest; then, B would be the correct social utility winner. The third is, if
instead of just truncating, the B voters actually bury A, then the dilemma
returns.

So, Schulze is better than I thought; but I still think that runoff methods
are the best solution. Perhaps a runoff between the Schulze-Margins and the
Schulze-WV winner would be ideal - if that weren't hellishly impossible to
explain.

JQ