[EM] Two questions

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 22 07:54:15 PDT 2010

Hi Kristofer,

--- En date de : Mar 22.6.10, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no> a écrit :
> Here are two questions regarding
> criterion compliance:
>
> First, does ordinary Copeland (one point for a win, nothing
> for a tie or loss) pass Smith?

I believe so. Suppose that there are x candidates in the Smith set and
y candidates outside of it. Then everyone in the Smith set will have
a score of at least y+1, and everyone outside the Smith set can have a
score of at most y-1.

> Second, could anyone give me an example of Copeland failing
> mono-add-top?

I can't produce the ballots off the top of my head, but suppose A is
winning with a score of say 5 while B has a score of 4. Then you add
new ballots of the form A>B>... that cause B to win two additional
contests with no other effect. I would assume for simplicity that the
Smith set is unchanged (containing A and B in both elections).

Kevin