[EM] Thoughts on a nomination simulation

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 07:45:37 PDT 2010

Kristofer Munsterhjelm  > Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:58 AM
> In a parliamentary system, I imagine it would be possible for the party
> leadership to decide (in the manner that they decide a list under party
> list PR). How do parties in actual single-winner district parliamentary
> countries (like England or Canada) select their candidates?

For a UK perspective, see:
  Candidate Selection
The report of the Commission on Candidate Selection, by Peter Riddell. June 2005. ISBN 0 903291 24 X
   PDF at:  http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/downloads/Candidate%20Report.pdf

Since that report was written the Conservative Party has experimented with one (or two ?) "open primary" elections to select its
candidate for the constituency  -  all postal voting open to all electors registered to vote in the relevant constituency.  This was
an expensive and pointless exercise as it failed completely to address any of the real problems afflicting the voting system used to
elect MPs to the House of Commons at Westminster.

James