[EM] Fwd: Preliminary Range PAV results

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 09:51:29 PDT 2010

I'm resending the message I sent to Kristofer because I think it's generally
interesting. I redid the formula for an STV-like Range-based proportional
system, and it's actually simpler than my previous (totally broken) formula.
When electing candidate A, just multiply all the ballots by
1-r(A)D/S(A)(unless it's negative), where
r(A) = ballot score for candidate A
D = Droop quota
S(A) = Sum of squares of scores for candidate A

(detail - you need to either normalize the scores to [0,1], or multiply the
droop quota by the top allowed score)

Note that my (still unpublished) summability trick can summably give results
which are the same as this method with a high probability. (I developed the
summability trick for approval ballots, but to use it for Range, you just
divvy up the ballot into approval-style "slices" which approve all
candidates which score higher than a given total. For instance, in range(3),
A3 B1 C0 would be equivalent to 2 (A) ballots and one (AB) ballot.)

Kristofer - have you been able to get results for this formula? If you send
me the source code, I can try myself.

JQ