[EM] Venzke's election simulations

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Jun 8 22:04:52 PDT 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Warren Smith wrote:

> And incidentally, L1 distance is not a smooth distance metric, nor
> is Linfinity,
> but Lp distance is smooth for any p with 1<p<infinity.
>
> So really when I say L1 distance, it might be better, if you believe
> in smoothness, to use, say L(1.1).
>
> But it will make very little difference.  The change from L2 to L1
> might be important.
> The change from L1 to L(1.1) will have little impact and would be more
> a cosmetic than a real change.
>
> (The suggestion to use Linfinity does not make sense to me.  Just my
> opinion.  But in
> 2 dimensions only, Linfinity and L1 are the same thing if you turn
> your head 45 degrees.)

the only sense is that a composite issue of abortion plus environment
might not make as much sense as two separate issues of abortion and
environment.  i knew of both pro-choicers and pro-lifers that made
that issue *everything*.  didn't matter if the candidate wanted to
foul (or clean up) the entire environment (in a tradeoff for
"growth"), if they were the wrong way on the abortion issue, nothing
else mattered.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com