[EM] Preliminary Range PAV results

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Tue Jun 8 14:42:46 PDT 2010

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> Kristofer,
>
> How about including Range SAV ?
>
> Assume that the range ballots are functions from the set of candidates into the
> set [0, M], where M is the max possible rating.  Then ballot r contributes the
> following quotient to the total score for subset S of the set of candidates K:
>
> Sum over k in S of r(k)
>
>    divided by
>
> Sum over k in K of r(k) .

That looks like a Range version of cumulative voting, and I think
another said that it was as well. Just to be sure, I'll ask - is it
Range cumulative voting?

If it is, it should be easy to handle. I also have implemented two
STV-like Range methods and could give the results for those.

Surprisingly, CFC-Range (like CFC-Kemeny but with Range scores instead
of Kemeny distance, and maximization instead of minimization), which
I've also tested, is only very slightly more proportional than
CFC-Kemeny at the cost of a lot of Bayesian regret, so CFC-Kemeny's good
results aren't attributable to the linear programming concept alone.