[EM] Thoughts on Burial

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Jul 23 10:44:39 PDT 2010

Jameson Quinn wrote:

> I've been thinking recently about systems which enforce chiral symmetry,
> making condorcet ties impossible. While it is possible to "solve" the
> truncation/burial problem (eg, between two near-clones who split a weak
> majority) in this way, I have not been able to come up with an
> acceptably simple system. The closest I know of is "tournament
> seeding"-style, condorcet-compliant (though not necessarily
> condorcet-based) systems, where only certain pairwise races are
> considered. In such systems, burial/truncation is a nonstrategy, period.

I think I read somewhere that elimination tournament methods must fail
monotonicity. I do know that runoff-type elimination based on weighted
positional methods (e.g. IRV being based on Plurality, and
Borda-elimination being based on Borda) must fail monotonicity.

Possible monotone methods might be based around Bucklin-type counts, or
perhaps something as simple as Smith,Plurality (not very good in
practice) or Smith,Approval.

There's also "first preference Copeland" (each candidate has penalty
equal to the number of times those that beat it pairwise appear in top
rank), BPW (if there is a cycle, elect the candidate that beats the
Plurality winner by the greatest amount), and Smith,IRV, but while
resistant to burial strategy, none of these methods are monotone.