[EM] Thoughts on Burial

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jul 17 12:11:22 PDT 2010

Thanking Jameson for serious thinking.

The possibility of cycles should not scare us on election day - we
should be prepared for reasonable response for whenever they happen.
Such as:

A or B or C should rate as CW vs D thru Z (a 3-member cycle - 4 or
more are possible, but not considered here).

C beating A and B would make it CW - no cycle.

A and B beating C would make one of them CW - no cycle.

So a cycle requires 3 comparable contenders.  Not likely the office
holder running - and having earned reelection or eviction.  Likely
multiple groups of voters pulling in different directions, rather than
two sides of one issue.

Those doing models can lean toward demonstrating the event that
interests them, rather than average voter activity.

Out of all this voters should be educated that cycles are a normal
event seeable with Condorcet, whatever their frequency.

"Truncation" is a word that puzzles me.  I see voters learning a bit
to pick candidates of possible interest, and then studying these few
to pick one, or a small group, to vote for.  When they vote for one or
more I do not see the selection as being truncation.

What I read of burial makes it an education topic, for users too often
sound as if not understanding the topic.