[EM] Thoughts on Burial

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:06:26 PDT 2010

> I believe that Jameson Quinn is right when he says that most Condorcet cycles are probably artificial,
i.e. they are caused by strategic truncation or strategic burial.

--For a real life example of a Condorcet cycle in a large national election, see
   http://rangevoting.org/Romania2009.html
Contrary to Simmons' conjecture/intuition, this cycle seems to have
been not "strategic," it was "honest" -- because the evidence for the
cycle consists of pairwise-poll data, and there is no motivation for
dishonesty in 2-man pairwise polls.

Further, other real-world cycle examples (?) are noted, discussed 2nd
half of section 4.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking