[EM] My Favorite Majoritarian Ordinal Ballot Method

Juho juho.laatu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:57:51 PDT 2010

 > Can anybody think of a Three Candidate example where this method
would give unreasonable results?

One could say that the Condorcet winner is always reasonable, and in
the case of a sincere loop all three candidates are reasonable since
they all have (max length 2) beatpath to all others. The first
complaints might come from the the random nature of the election. If
one has some criterion that tells which one of the candidates is best
then electing someone else than that candidate (maybe the worst one)
(assuming that the votes are sincere enough) could be considered
unreasonable.

 > Can anybody think of a Three Candidate example where insincere
voting would not be too risky under this method?

Insincere voting might first emerge in the form of voters burying or
not ranking the worst competitor(s) of their favourite candidate. This
kind of insincere voting (that might target the next election, not
necessarily change the winner of this election) might not be too risky
in some situations, but this is of course not the kind of insincere/
strategic voting scenario that you asked for.

Insincere full ranking instead of a vote that includes sincere equal
rankings could be a good strategy (to create or not to create a loop).

In the example that you gave the fact that there are no C>B>A votes
means (as you say) that it is probable that C is close to A, and A
voters will not have incentive to vote insincerely. This is however
not the only reasonable scenario. It is also possible that A voters do
not like C although C voters do like A. This is not the most common
scenario but sometimes opinions may go also this way.

Juho