[EM] uncovered set

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jul 18 15:40:30 PDT 2010

River, Schulze, and Ranked Pairs all give the win to D in the scenario

40 D>B>C>A
30 A>B>C>D
30 C>A>D>B

because in the pairwise beatpath D beats B beats C beats A, all of the defeats are 70 to 30, and all
other defeats are weaker.

But alternative D is covered by A.

Even though we cannot have monotonicity with independence from covered alternatives, we can have
monotone methods that choose exclusively from the uncovered set.  Copeland is such a method, but it
has a high rate of tied outcomes, and fails clone independence.

My favorite Condorcet method based on purely ranked ballots (explained elsewhere) gives A seventy
percent of the probability and C thirty percent of the probability.