[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jan 27 13:30:44 PST 2010

At 08:51 AM 1/27/2010, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>2010/1/26 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
><<mailto:abd at lomaxdesign.com>abd at lomaxdesign.com>
>
>The typical error is in assuming some "strategic" faction which
>votes sensibly, when everyone else votes in a way that they will
>regret if they discover the result they cause.
>
>You can't study history for two minutes without finding significant
>groups of people (that is, ~5% fractions, not "everyone else")
>behaving in ways they come to regret later. This is unavoidable
>human nature, and acknowledging it is no error.

Now, is the voting system supposed to protect them from their stupidity?

We were not talking about a minor faction voting that way, but half
of the two largest, with 20% of the vote, in the example Mr. Quinn
created, the total faction being 40%. The opposing 40% vote
*normally!*, all of them. The vote cast by this 20% faction
effectively says "I have very little preference between Bore and
Cush." (It's 1/5 vote!) So if the voting system interprets their vote
that way, we are supposed to blame the system?

There is supposedly a "Moral issue" here, the idea that we are not
supposed to "reward dishonesty." But a vote is never dishonest, it is
an action, tossing a weight or weights in a balance or balances,
intending to swing the balances some way. It's not a sentiment, and
it is not a statement under some binding rule of honesty that could
be defined. Reversing preference is more arguable, perhaps, but this
still applies. Moral responsibility lies in the consequences of the
actions, or at least in what we could anticipate from them. Hence, if
the 20% believes that their vote was foolish, the responsibility for
that lies with them.

Look, I would not dump full-blown Range on an electorate. I'm
proposing Bucklin, which would allow ranking in a way that makes it
roughly equivalent to rating, with the three ranks meaning -- and it
might say that right on the ballot -- "Favorite," "Preferred," and
"Also Approved." I prefer to see this as the primary in a runoff
system, so that "Also Approved" has a very clear preference meaning:
"I prefer to see these candidates elected to a runoff being held."
Later-No-Harm is important to you? Fine. Just vote for your favorite.
If your favorite gets a majority, done. If not, then, if your
favorite is a leader by the criteria used to determine runoff
candidates, you will presumably vote for your favorite again. If your
favorite doesn't make it, you will still have your option to cast a
vote indicating preference again.

This isn't *difficult.* But it leads, later, after there is more
experience, to using a Range Ballot to accomplish the same thing,
only with a bit more subtlety, and the Range ballot would start with
only one more rank: "Preferred to the worst." The original ballot can
be analyzed as Range 4, with a vote of 1 missing, the values are 4,
3, 2, 0. The extended ballot adds the 1. Initially, that might not
even be used to determine a winner, but would be used to collect
preference information from voters who don't support a winner. It
might then be used to make somewhat better choices for runoffs. It
would never be considered approval of such a candidate, indeed, it is
disapproval. Following basic democratic procedures, a winner would
never be declared in a primary with less than a majority, but if,
after study of such elections and runoffs, it is determined that
there is no significant risk of reversal in a runoff with a less
stringent standard, that's fine with me; compromises are made in the
name of efficiency when the loss in efficiency is great enough to
warrant the loss in full confidence.

Note that in the election described, by the votes, there would be a
majority winner if we assume that 80% is approval....