[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jan 25 18:43:28 PST 2010

At 07:22 PM 1/25/2010, Juho wrote:

>There are many (working) uses for an approval cutoff in ranked
>ballots. But on the other hand they may add complexity and confusion
>and not add anything essential. => Careful consideration needed.

Only a voting systems theorist who is not a parliamentarian or
familiar with the principles of parliamentary traditions, essential
in direct democracy, would think approval not relevant. Approval is
Yes/No on the series of possible choices. It's fundamental, actually,
and compromises with this are *never* made in direct democracies,
they are only made in the name of efficiency in large-scale elections.

>>Bucklin does that, basically, by only considering approval votes,
>>but it sets up a declining approval cutoff, typically in three
>>batches, loosely named as Favorite, Preferred, and Approved. I've
>>suggested that in a runoff voting situation, majority required,
>>"Approved" has a very specific meaning: it means "I would prefer to
>>see this candidate elected over holding a runoff election." Voters,
>>then, by what candidates they choose to approve given their overall
>>understanding of election possibilities, will sincerely vote this.
>>It makes no sense not to.
>
>Bucklin is a bit simpler.

Simpler than what? The proposed method? Sure.

>>By definition, range methods put extra weight on first preferences,
>>if the voter chooses to express the first preference exclusively, as
>>does Bucklin, at least in the first round.
>
>Range is also designed to elect candidates with no core support, e.g.
>one that gets 60% of the points from all voters while all others have
>only limited amount of strong support and no support from the rest.
>IRV puts always main weight on first preferences (among the remaining
>candidates).

Yes. However, "designed to elect candidates with no core support" is
an overstatement. It certainly is not designed for that, but it
allows it. It's pretty unlikely, eh? The most common response to this
claim when it comes from FairVote is,"Really, even the candidate and
her mother prefer someone else?" And when there really is a problem
with core support, it comes down to, usually, center squeeze, and the
compromise winner is, in fact, quite strong in first preference
votes, but merely ends up, in a three-way race, in third place, and
not by a large margin. Not at all "no core support."

Appeasing the "core support criterion" is a very bad idea, rewarding
partisan affiliation without sound reason for it; the only arguments
I've seen for it that carry any weight are arguments that core
support is necessary for good governance, which is not entirely
incorrect, but which doesn't counterbalance the danger of serious
social division. Remember that the Nazi Party in Germany had "core
support." Mmmm, did that help them govern? Sure it did! But "good
governance"? No, not at all, I certainly hope we will agree. Any core
support criterion pushes results away from true majority-supported
results toward domination by the largest faction. Which, of course,
then encourages a two-party system, at best.