[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 13:05:30 PST 2010

I reply to myself since I want to present one possible simple method
that combines Condorcet and added weight to first preferences
(something that IRV offers in its own peculiar way).

Let's add an approval cutoff in the Condorcet ballots. The first
approach could be to accept only winners that have some agreed amount
of approvals. But I'll skip that approach and propose something
softer. A clear approval cutoff sounds too black and white to me
(unless there is already some agreed level of approval that must be
met).

The proposal is simply to add some more strength to opinions that
cross the approval cutoff. Ballot A>B>>C>D would be counted as 1 point
to pairwise comparisons A>B and C>D but some higher number of points
(e.g. 1.5) to comparisons A>C, A>D, B>C and B>D. This would introduce
some approval style strategic opportunities in the method but basic
ranking would stay as sincere as it was. I don't believe the approval
related strategic problems would be as bad in this method as in
Approval itself.

Counting only first preferences would not be a good approach since it
should be possible to vote e.g. X>Y>>.... when X is my favourite
candidate of my favourite party and Y is the strongest candidate of my
favourite party.

This is just a simple method to demonstrate that if one wants to put
some extra weight on first preferences also Condorcet methods could be
modified to cover such needs. There may be different requirements on
what kind of first preferences or "core support" should be given
additional weight. Depending on that definition also other kind of
Condorcet variants could be developed.

This method could be used to reduce the chances of candidates from
minor parties (with no strong "core support") to win. I'm not saying
that that is a general target, but if someone wants to set that target
then this type of approach could be used. The point is that Condorcet
could also emulate, approximate or even improve some of the properties
of IRV if needed.

Juho