[EM] Professorial Office Picking

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 08:37:33 PST 2010

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:07:21 -0500
> From: "Terry Bouricius" <terryb at burlingtontelecom.net>
>
> Would we agree that voting methods do best when voters give their sincere rankings to avoid GIGO distortion? Since all voting methods can be subject to strategic voting strategies with incomplete, exaggerated or insincere ballot information, might it not be a good idea to select two or more voting methods with different (ideally contrary) inherent strategy options, and then select the vote tabulation algorithm by lot AFTER the ballots are cast? This might give all voters an incentive to give sincere ballot information, since that would be the safest individual strategy.
>
> Alternatively, the threat of assigning all offices by lot might be used as a stick to prompt all voters to come to a unanimous agreement using an iterative or "bidding" process.
>
> Terry Bouricius

Terry,

Let's remove another voter right, the right to use strategy when voting.

Hey you've already successfully removed (in Burlington, VT where you
live) voter rights to:

1. participate in the final counting rounds

2. cast a ballot that has a known positive effect on a candidate's
chances to win in any one election

3. have his votes treated equally with all other voters

4. understand and be able to replicate the tallying process so as to
verify the electronic tallies (most voters cannot use spreadsheets or
take the individual ballot choices even if publicly published and
figure out what the STV tallies should be)

5. have an economical manual check of the machine tallies after the election

6. have an economical election administration process.

Hey why not simply also remove the right to strategize too Terry.

Hey why have the voters vote at all, just have the machine programmer
generate some random ballot choices and select a winner by the method
that elects his favorite candidate?

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org
Town of Colonie, NY 12304
"One of the best ways to keep any conversation civil is to support the
discussion with true facts."

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry