[EM] Professorial Office Picking

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Jan 25 06:07:21 PST 2010

Would we agree that voting methods do best when voters give their sincere rankings to avoid GIGO distortion? Since all voting methods can be subject to strategic voting strategies with incomplete, exaggerated or insincere ballot information, might it not be a good idea to select two or more voting methods with different (ideally contrary) inherent strategy options, and then select the vote tabulation algorithm by lot AFTER the ballots are cast? This might give all voters an incentive to give sincere ballot information, since that would be the safest individual strategy.

Alternatively, the threat of assigning all offices by lot might be used as a stick to prompt all voters to come to a unanimous agreement using an iterative or "bidding" process.

Terry Bouricius