[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Jan 22 07:19:58 PST 2010

Kathy,

Arrow never uses the word "spoiler" in his theorem (original nor revised
version). You may be thinking about his independence of irrelevant
alternatives (IIA) criterion. While this could be expanded to have some
bearing on the concept of "spoilers," it is not the same thing. Firstly,
Arrow used IIA (as well as Pareto consistency and non-dictatorship) as
desirable characteristics of a social ranking of options, not finding a
single winner (or winning set). having a vote processing algorithm ignore
rankings of "irrelevant" options, is not the same as ignoring non-winning
options. Arrow himself gave examples of irrelevant options such as, an
option that was not available at all (such as instantaneous teleportation,
when establishing a social ordering of transportation options), or in the
case of an election, a person who was not a candidate at all, or a
candidate who died between the time ballots are cast, and tallied. While
some election method experts may choose to give a broader interpretation
of IIA by including "non-winning" candidates, Kathy, don't claim validity
by pretending to cite Arrow for your non-standard definition of "spoiler,"
which he never used.

Terry Bouricius