[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected tothe spoiler effect if any

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Thu Jan 21 11:07:28 PST 2010

Jonathan makes an important point. The term "spoiler"  means a minor
candidate with a small percentage of the vote, who changes which of the
other candidates wins by running. But Kathy and some others wish to expand
the definition to include a front-runner. (Note that these IRV opponents
refer to the top plurality vote-getter who narrowly lost the runoff in
Burlington, Kurt Wright, as a "spoiler" who prevented the candidate in
third place from winning. This is a dynamic worthy of analysis, but the
word "spoiler" is never used by the media or political scientists when
describing the plurality leader.

Terry Bouricius