[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected to the spoiler effect if any

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Jan 20 23:47:17 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 2:29 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>> i think that the answer is "no", if a Condorcet winner exists and
>> that all bets are off if a CW does not exist, except, perhaps for
>> these "strategy-resistant" methods such as Markus Schulze's
>> method.  i sorta understand it, but since he hangs here, i think
>> Markus should address the question if the Schulze method is
>> spoiler free.
>
> MAM/Ranked Pairs is also pretty strategy-resistant and is easier to
> understand. Schulze has the advantage of producing better results
> in some cases (closer to Minmax), but if "ability to describe to
> the public" is important, then Ranked Pairs wins there.
>
>>> Could someone please provide me with an example of the spoiler
>>> effect occuring with the Condorcet method  of counting rank
>>> choice ballots or tell me why the spoiler effect doesn't happen
>>> with Condorcet in  a few words?
>
> (...)
>
>> i would say that (with the CW existing), it's spoiler-proof.
>
> Yes. If there's a CW and a candidate is added, and that candidate
> doesn't create a cycle, then the winner doesn't change.

and if that candidate that is added doesn't *win*.  a spoiler is
*not* a winner that when removed from the election and all ballots
does not change who the winner is.  a spoiler must be a loser to the
election, whose presence changes who the winner is.  i remember
reading someone's poor attack on IRV (in local Burlington blogs) that
claimed that Bob Kiss (who won Burlington's IRV election) was a
"spoiler".  they were misusing or misunderstanding the concept of a
3rd-party candidate.  (maybe somewhere else, a 3rd-party candidate
can only hope to be a spoiler, but in Burlington a 3rd-party
candidate can expect to win office once in a while.  that's a little
different.)

so, we have a CW...  add a candidate, if that candidate does not
become the winner, nor cause a cycle, then the Condorcet Winner we
had before continues to be the CW with the added candidate.  (boy, i
guess we're rephrasing the same thing multiple times!)

> All the "tricky" stuff happens when there is a cycle, or the
> candidate makes one.

yup.

> The advanced methods can claim further resistance: Schulze and
> Ranked Pairs both make their winner decision independent of
> candidates not in the Smith set.

this, i understand...

> River is independent of Pareto-dominated alternatives - a candidate
> is Pareto-dominated if everybody who ranks both him and some other
> (specific) candidate, rank the other candidate above him (e.g. X is
> Pareto-dominated by Y if all voters who rank both X and Y say Y>X,
> and there's at least one such voter).

i wouldn't mind if someone explains this.  i don't know what "Pareto-
dominated" is about.  can someone expound?

> I imagine these resistances would mostly come into play in smaller
> elections. Still, they're nice to have, and their existence
> immediately tells parties not to try exploiting certain weaknesses
> (because it won't work).

yes, that's the whole point.  this is why i am not yet afraid of
someone strategically voting to push a Condorcet election into a
cycle.  it would be an unsafe way to accomplish a political goal.
how could anyone predict what would happen?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com