[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected to the spoiler effect if any

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Jan 20 17:03:56 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> Thanks Robert,
>
> My question was strictly about Condorcet and I know already how to
> generate IRV and spoiler cases, as I said.
>
> Are you claiming that Condorcet methods are never subjected to a case
> of a nonwinning candidate changing who would otherwise win?

i said only if there is a Condorcet winner.  even though i don't
think it would be at all commonplace, much of the discussion between
the geeks here sometimes is about exactly what to do for Condorcet
cycles.  i'm less invested (hell, perhaps if there is a cycle we
decide by IRV rules, or pick the candidate with the plurality 1st-
choice vote, i really don't care that much) in whatever happens if
there is no CW since i don't think it will happen often in real life.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com