[EM] IRV vs Plurality (Dave Ketchum)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:19:00 PST 2010

Kristofer,

I don't know about Condorcet auditing because I haven't tried to
figure it out yet, but its mathematics seems to be much simpler than
IRV/STV since only n(n-1) counts are necessary to report for each
audit unit (precinct or whatever.) and I'm sure the fact that
Condorcet counts fit so nicely into an nxn matrix would probably help
the numeric algorithms.

I would need to figure out how what the upper margin error bounds for
all candidate pairs for one Condorcet audit unit (precinct or other
publicly reported) matrix are, given the reported vote counts and
number of ballots cast in each. Once that is done, I think figuring
out several methods would come simply.  It seems very do-able to me,
but it would take me who knows how many days or weeks or even months
of studying the problem to figure out exactly.  As soon as Condorcet
methods are adopted for a public federal, or perhaps even state-level
election, I would definitely not oppose implementation of the
Condorcet method with the minimum margin method of resolving cycles
and would be happy to try to develop the post-election auditing
mathematics for it.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp

Town of Colonie, NY 12304
phone 518-952-4030
cell 518-505-0220

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://kathydopp.com/serendipity/

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

Checking election outcome accuracy --- Post-election audit sampling
http://electionmathematics.org/em-audits/US/PEAuditSamplingMethods.pdf