[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Thu Jan 14 10:30:49 PST 2010

Kathy,

You need to learn the terminology for election experts to understand you.
You can't use the term "majority-favorite" to when you mean
"Condorcet-winner." They mean different things, and your statements below
are confusing (and false), simply because you are using terms incorrectly.

For the record, I am indeed a supporter of Condorcet methods, and would
support their adoption. However, I think IRV is sufficiently superior to
plurality voting to also deserve active support...And ultimately I think
IRV is more achievable for public elections than Condorcet methods, simply
because Americans are familiar with and accepting of traditional runoff
systems (TTR), which suffer all of the same non-monotonicity, and other
shortcomings as IRV that Kathy focuses on.

Terry Bouricius