[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:03:59 PST 2010

> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:24:53 -0500
> From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com>
> To: robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com>,  EM Methods
>        <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
>
> At 02:14 AM 1/13/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>

>>>IRV/STV is fundamentally unfair because a large group of persons whose
>>>first choice loses, never has their 2nd choice counted,
>>
>>only if they don't mark their 2nd choice.

IRV promoters should do due diligence to understand how IRV works.
There are several scenarios where voters' marked 2nd choices are never
counted, even when their first choice loses, and this is what makes
IRV/STV such a fundamentally unfair system that tends to elect extreme
right or left candidates while eliminating the majority favored
candidates.

Cases when voters' 2nd choices are never counted include:

1. 2nd and later choices eliminated prior to 1st choice, and the most
important case

2. the very large group of voters whose 1st choice makes it to the
final counting round and then loses

The above will *always* happen in all IRV/STV elections. In
particular, #1 above occurs anytime that there are a number of
candidates that is greater by one (1) than the number of ballot
positions.

This fundamental inequity is what causes nonmonotonicity, elimination
of majority-favorite candidates, and the fact that commonly IRV/STV
does not find majority winners because so many voters' ballots are
exhausted prior to the final counting round, thus involuntarily
excluding a large number of voters from participating in making the
final decision as to who is elected.

I truly cannot imagine a worse voting method than IRV/STV which fails
more of Arrow's fairness criteria than plurality voting does.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp

Town of Colonie, NY 12304
phone 518-952-4030
cell 518-505-0220

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://kathydopp.com/serendipity/

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

Checking election outcome accuracy --- Post-election audit sampling
http://electionmathematics.org/em-audits/US/PEAuditSamplingMethods.pdf