[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Jan 10 13:02:09 PST 2010

At 01:06 AM 1/10/2010, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
>On Jan 9, 2010, at 9:23 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, in one-third of nonpartisan top-two runoff
> elections, which IRV supposedly simulates, the runner-up in the
> primary goes on to win the runoff, a "comeback election," according
> to a FairVote study. It simply does not happen with IRV.
>
>It's hard to know what to make of this claim, other than, "so what?"
>-- if what you're comparing to TTR is the IRV candidates with the
>highest first-choice ballots.

I'm comparing *elections*. Yes, not all questions are addressed, but
the response of "so what?" misses the point, obviously. If we assume
sincere voting in TTR and IRV, and if we consider real world
conditions (separate runoff, not merely some simulated runoff with
the same voters and the same preferences and no new knowledge or
shift of preference or better consideration, etc.), the results are
quite different. That preference order doesn't shift in nonpartisan
IRV elections, though the vote transfer process, was completely
unanticipated, as far as I know. Mr. Lundell, were you aware of it?
Did anyone predict this?

What this means that, with very little exception, you can use
Plurality instead of IRV. And this just may explain why Plurality has
remained so popular for so long. In certain contexts, it works quite well.

>Presumably voters in TTR and IRV elections know the counting rules.

No. We can't presume that, in fact. Both TTR and IRV generally
encourage sincere first-preference votes, not in reality, but in
appearance. I believe that most votes in the current IRV elections in
the U.S. are quite sincere, they aren't being gamed, as they would
need to be to maximize voter expected satisfaction, in some cases.
With TTR, indeed, voters may know the rules. They might even know IRV
rules, but the *implications* of the rules, that knowledge, from what
I've seen, is unusual.

>  The meaning of a first-choice IRV vote is not the same as a TTR
> first-round vote. One plausible interpretation: if a TTR primary
> results in A>B, A tends to have all the votes A is ever going to
> get, but B, in the runoff, gets all the "anybody but A" votes, and wins.

When there is a runoff between two candidates, there is much closer
examination of the two candidates. Further, preference strength
enters into runoffs, causing results to shift toward what would be
range voting results. Sincere range voting! I'm assuming, here, that
the runoff is a special election. If the primary is the special
election (seems to be common in North Carolina, for example), then it
is the primary results that are range-shifted. That's improved
election quality, Johathan. People vote when they care. We cannot
tell from low turnout if the turnout is low because voters are
equally disgusted with both candidates, equally pleased, or truly
don't care about who wins no matter who the candidates are. High
participation in a general election means a lot of noise, voters with
low preference strength (which may be due to lack of knowledge, or
may be intrinsic, i.e., they *do* know the candidates and don't care
which one wins).

The proposed explanation for comeback elections, however, "anybody
but A," is probably rare. Much more likely is this, as one example:

B is a dark horse, wasn't expected to do as well as actually
happened. When B makes it into the runoff, suddenly those who
supported B or who would have supported be had they known about B,
will turn out to vote. In the other direction, those who voted in the
primary and who actually have low preference between A and B may not
turn out to vote; perhaps A was better known and got votes from these
voters. So A may lose votes and B may gain them. Add to this the
effect of additional campaigning, where B, now being a serious
contender, gains more funding and more explicit support, perhaps the
recommendation of other candidates.

Whether or not all this is likely may depend on the margin, but if B
was truly a dark horse, B stands to gain votes from those who voted
for other candidates. To me, the really interesting situation is
where a center squeezed candidate doesn't make it into the runoff.
What were the vote margins? Are there signs that the eliminated
candidate was actually the Condorcet winner? By what margin and what
preference strength? These would be factors in determining if a
write-in campaign is appropriate. Using an advanced method in the
runoff, even if there are only two candidates on the ballot, and
allowing write-ins, allows fixing this problem with top two runoff!
And the problem is less likely to arise if an advanced method is used
in the primary as well.

>OTOH, A>B>... in the first round of an IRV election tells us
>considerably less, since the cost of voting for a non-poll-leader is
>considerably less than with TTR. It's entirely plausible, though of
>course not necessary, that the A:B first choice breakdown reflects
>the lower-choice breakdown of the other voters.

This is what we see in IRV elections, when they are nonpartisan. It
is as if the supporters of each candidate as most-preferred are a
sample from the same population that is otherwise similar. So if,
say, those who prefer someone other than A are considered as to their
preference for B>C, the ratio of B>C preferences will be the same for
those who prefer A. This was unexpected, to me, but it does make some
kind of sense.

Most of our thinking about voting systems has been colored by
thinking in terms of factional preferences, which are roughly
predictable and not at all like this. We expect that a Progressive
voter in Burlington will be more likely to support the Democrat over
the Republican, and by significant margins, and we likewise expect
that a Republican voter will be more likely to prefer the Democrat
over the Progressive. In Burlington, the Democrats are in the middle,
the center, they are the local moderates.

But nonpartisan elections don't seem to work like this. They are
about personalities, less about issues and general stances on issues,
I suspect. They may be about perception of trustworthiness.