[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 9 08:52:18 PST 2010

"Vote your conscience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjXBI3mMpw

Therefore IRV/STV is no better than plurality, but has extra very
serious flaws, inequities, and vagaries that plurality does not have."

Kathy Dopp (8 Jan 2010).

I watched the video. It didn't provide any evidence that IRV is actually
a bad method, just that the claim made by some of its promoters
that the voters are completely free of any compromise (aka favorite
betrayal) incentive is wrong.

I don't know of any "inequities" that IRV has that plurality  doesn't.

I certainly consider plurality's failures of Clone-Winner and Majority
for Solid Coalitions and Majority Loser to be much more "serious
flaws"  than any IRV has.

IRV is my favourite of the methods that are invulnerable to Burial
strategy and meet Later-no-Harm.

Chris Benham