[EM] Pirate Party of Sweden adopts the Schulze method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Thu Jan 7 13:10:09 PST 2010

Raph Frank wrote:
> Is it a pure condorcet ordering, or are they adding any PR elements to the list?
>
> Using google translate (which did a pretty good job), on those
> threads, they say it is decided
>
> "According to a variant of the Condorcet / Single-Transferable-Vote
> named Schultz method. Full källkod kommer att publiceras. Full source
> code will be published. "
>
> Is this Schulze STV?

It's plain old Schulze, as in the Condorcet method.

It seems to me that using a proportional ordering (house monotone PR
method) would be a better approach for a party list than to just use a
Condorcet method directly. In the latter case, the list would be full of
centrists, but in the former, there would be some opinion space variation.

I seem to remember that Schulze designed a proportional ordering version
of Schulze STV as well, but it may be too untested even for the Pirate
Party.

http://forum.piratpartiet.se/FindPost176567.aspx implies that the source
code is based on the Wikipedia implementation.