[EM] A Majoritarian, Clone Free, High Efficiency, Sincere Ratings Lottery

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jan 6 19:51:33 PST 2010

An improvement is to let S be the set of candidates that cover all of the candidates with greater approval
(not only the approval winner).  This makes S more exclusive, so the method has higher efficiency.

So here it is:

In this method voters are allowed two ballots ...  an ordinal preference ballot with approval cutoffs, and a
cardinal (range style) ratings ballot.

1. The approval winner A is determined from the approval
cutoff on ordinal ballots.

2. The ordinal ballots are also used to determine the set  S  of candidates that
cover all candidates with higher approval.  [Candidate C covers B   iff   every candidate that
pairwise beats C also pairwise beats B.]

3. The same ordinal ballots are also used to determine the winning probabilities for
the lottery L(S) that uses random ordinal ballot to choose from S.

4. The range ballots are used to choose between A and L(S).

5.  If L(S) wins in step 4, then the winner is the member of S that is ranked
the highest on an ordinal ballot picked at random from those submitted.

Note that the approval winner A is always in S, as is the Condorcet Candidate when there is one.