[EM] just to let you know ...

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Wed Jan 6 07:13:59 PST 2010

The key fact to understand about the situation in Burlington, is that the
proposal for the repeal of IRV would replace it with a plurality system. A
candidate could win with 40% of the vote. If no candidate reaches 40%
there would be a runoff election.

Robert Bristow-Johnson and I did a little poking around to see if we could
spark any interest in Condorcet as a better way to go, but the folks
pushing for repeal of IRV are mainly Republicans who believe that a 40%
plurality rule is their best chance of winning the mayor's office, and
have no interest in principles of majority, let alone Condorcet winners.

Terry Bouricius