[EM] Cabal equilibria in voting

Peter de Blanc peter at spaceandgames.com
Tue Jan 26 19:47:28 PST 2010

Hi,

I've been doing some analysis of strategic voting - specifically,
looking for equilibrium strategies. Nash equilibria are of course not
very useful for elections, because almost anything is a Nash
equilibrium. So I've defined a less inclusive type of equilibrium called
a cabal equilibrium.

The very short version of the result is that most popular voting methods
(plurality, approval, Condorcet, IRV) have a cabal equilibrium iff
there's a Condorcet winner, and a cabal equilibrium always elects a
Condorcet winner.

I have a longer post about this on my blog, here:
http://www.spaceandgames.com/?p=106

The post also links to some of my earlier work on the same topic.

  - Peter de Blanc