[EM] I need an example of Condorcet method being subjected to the spoiler effect if any

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:10:53 PST 2010

If the Condorcet method is susceptible to the phenomena of a
nonwinning candidate whose presence in the election changes who would
otherwise win the election, all else being equal.

Could someone please provide me with an example of the spoiler effect
occuring with the Condorcet method  of counting rank choice ballots or
tell me why the spoiler effect doesn't happen with Condorcet in  a few
words?

Thanks. I'm devising an experiment to compare the Condorcet method
with the IRV method of counting rank choice ballots and would like, if
possible, to introduce subjects to the spoiler effect to see under
what conditions they notice it occurs.  I can easily generate spoiler
scenarios with IRV but do not know how to generate spoiler scenarios
with the Condorcet method and if it's not too much trouble, would
appreciate an example if Condorcet is susceptible to spoilers.

Thank you.

--

Kathy Dopp

Town of Colonie, NY 12304
phone 518-952-4030
cell 518-505-0220

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://kathydopp.com/serendipity/

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

Checking election outcome accuracy --- Post-election audit sampling
http://electionmathematics.org/em-audits/US/PEAuditSamplingMethods.pdf