[EM] IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Feb 14 19:57:57 PST 2010

If you object to "plurality" as I used it below, then WHAT label would
you use for this major (often used) election method?

I did go to Robert's 10th which is not into our level of detail on
this topic (I see neither approval nor Condorcet mentioned).

I went to Wikipedia, which I see as agreeing with what I wrote as to
all three categories.

On Feb 13, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 2/11/2010, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>> We all get careless and stumble, sooner or later!
>>
>> But I choke on two details here:
>>
>> You misuse the label "plurality" - having only the ability to vote
>> for
>> 1 even though, for many races most intelligent voters will find there
>> is only one candidate deserving approval.
>>     Even Approval has more power, letting voters vote for more than
>> one, though unable to differentiate.
>>     Condorcet is another important step up, letting voters vote for
>> more than one while indicating which they like best.
>>
>> Forcing voters to act as if they wanted to vote for more than they
>> wish to is a step backward, and should not pretend to be an asset for
>> a method.
>
> I'm not following Mr. Ketchum's arguments here. But "plurality" was
> used in a very ordinary sense. Any method which elects without a
> vote of a majority of those who cast non-blank ballots in an
> election is an election by plurality, using the definitions of
> Robert's Rules (and of most parliamentary procedure manuals, I
> believe, if not all). There is room for interpretation on whether or
> not a non-blank ballot that does not contain a legal vote should be
> included in the basis for majority, but no room for excluding from
> the basis those who do cast a valid vote, but for a candidate that
> is, say, later eliminated due to low vote count.
>
> Hence almost all voting systems that have been considered, absent
> vote coercion (as with mandatory full ranking or penalization of
> partial ranking, as happens with some versions of Borda Count), are
> "plurality methods," including Approval and Range and, the point
> here, Condorcet methods.
>
> I did incorrectly state the case at first, by showing lower rankings
> that did add additional votes for other candidates by A. The example
> was clearer with all bullet votes. What this points out is that a
> ranking of, say, A>B>C>D>D>F>G>H is, from this point of view, a vote
> for G over H. Should this be considered an "approval" of G? The
> voter has expressed that, in an election between G and H, the voter
> would prefer H, though, in fact, in a deep ranking like that, this
> is probably noise for the most part. (Robson Rotation is, in fact,
> used to eliminate some of this noise by averaging it out so that, at
> least, it is not produced by ballot position.)
>
>> "Majority" is a word whose merits need more serious thought - see an
>> earlier post from today.
>>
>> Ditto "runoffs".

Your words below seem intended as response - but I see little if
anything as to merits.

Dave Ketchum