[EM] "good method" ? , was "IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)"

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 18:31:35 PST 2010

Chris wrote:
> > 35:A>B=C
> > 32:B>C>A
> > 33:C>A=B.
>
> What "good method" do you have in mind that might not elect
> C?

I didn't have a method in mind, and I agree that C is the best winner in
this example for the reasons you gave.  My only point is that the
Condorcet criterion should perhaps require majorities if we are to insist
upon it.  Here is a better example of my point:

41:A>B=C>D
29:B>D>C>A
30:C>B>A>D

C is the Condorcet winner even without a true majority over B.  I don't
see that it would embarrass a method to choose B as the winner of this
election.  Do you?

--
Rob LeGrand
rob at approvalvoting.org