[EM] IRV ballot pile count (proof of closed form)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 8 09:20:37 PST 2010

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> Given that much better methods exist, have been tried and worked, and
> are much easier to canvass, WTF?

If I were to guess: in part a desire to produce a stepping stone to STV,
and in part organizational inertia. FairVote bet on IRV and now will
"stay the course".

To address the former: the grail here would be a polytime monotone
summable multiwinner method that reduces to a good Condorcet variant (or
Bucklin/Range/etc) in the single-winner case. A multiwinner method can
be summable in two ways: summable with the number of seats held fixed,
or summable no matter what.
What's important is that we don't know of such a method; but also that
the stepping stone strategy itself might be dangerous - if the base
method is bad, then it may fail to dislodge those whose interest is in
less democracy, and so the objective of moving to multiwinner never
gains any additional strength by the so-called stepping stone.