[EM] Hiding Abilities

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Feb 21 18:44:50 PST 2010

Reading about stuff getting included in programs, secretly, I am
reminded of something that is close to ancient history:

I bought a disk, accepting the restriction that I was not allowed to
make copies.

Curious as to what they might do for protection, more than making an
idle threat, I looked at the code and found nothing.

So I did a trial copy of the disk, which KNEW it was not at home, and
refused to do more than complain.  Looked closer at the code - there
really was no instruction code to be so smart, meaning we were into
magic.

Magic being a bit much to accept, I looked still closer and now know
it was doable with normal disks - have fun thinking on this.

BTW, I believe there are good tasks for computers in election work -
we just do need to get away from the excessive misuse and find and
punish the worst of that.

Dave Ketchum

On Feb 21, 2010, at 5:08 PM, WarrenS wrote:
Re: [RangeVoting] Tallying ballot images is "trivial"?  NO worries
about e-voting?