[EM] Ameliorating SNTV

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sat Feb 6 02:27:51 PST 2010

SNTV is not a very good multiwinner method, but it is proportional under
strategy. It is also monotone, which is a property few multiwinner
methods have. Thus, it may be useful to try to improve upon SNTV so as
to fix its flaws, while retaining the useful monotonicity aspect. If we
can manage to construct a truly proportional monotone method, that would
be new, indeed.

What are the flaws of SNTV? There are two, mainly:

- First, it suffers from its own sort of vote-splitting problem. If a
party with less than 1/x support fields more than seats/x candidates, it
is at risk of losing seats because the votes are spread out too thin. In
effect, this means candidate selection must be coordinated, which leads
to centralized parties, which is not something we want.

- Second, all voters have to vote for the various candidates in equal
order. If voters predominantly vote for a single of the party's
candidates, the excess votes are lost and the party loses seats.

While I have not been able to find a solution to the first problem, I
think I have found one for the second. I'll mention other solutions to
the first, and how I don't think they would work (at least not without
further research).

-

My solution to the second problem requires a change of ballots, a
cumulative vote version of SNTV if you will. Unlike plain cardinal
ratings, the cumulative vote doesn't have the rich party effect that has
been mentioned earlier.

First count the totals for all the candidates, then, using a divisor
method, either directly (as Webster's) or indirectly (as by
Sainte-Laguë), apportion as many seats as you want. If every candidate
that has a nonzero count of seats has exactly one seat, you're done.
This is what would happen if everybody were careful about spreading
their votes.

However, if some candidate has more than one seat, there's a problem.
What is the problem? Well, no candidate can occupy more than one seat
(the "simple" solution of weighted votes notwithstanding). But now
consider: if, say, candidate A has two seats out of three, what does
that mean? It means that voters who voted for A should have the power to
determine who gets the other seat.

Hence, we get to what I call diminuation factors. Each candidate has a
diminuation factor which starts at 1 and is always greater than zero.
How do the diminuation factors work? It's quite simple: before counting
a cumulative ballot, first multiply each candidate's rating by its
diminuation factor, then rescale the entire ballot so it has the same
power as any other cumulative ballot within the system. Deweighting a
candidate like this means the "power" granted to that candidate is
redistributed to all the other candidates (by the renormalization process).
In the case of a bullet vote, the renormalization will cancel out any
deweighting, but that just means the excess power will flow to other
voters for that candidate, through the form of a lesser diminuation factor.

Do the count - it's probably easier to do it indirectly (Sainte-Laguë)
than directly - and then slightly decrease the diminuation factor of the
candidates that got more than one seat, proportionally to how much more
they got. That is, if there are 5 seats and one got 2, the other 3,
deweight the former 1.5 times the latter. I'm not sure which function
would modify the diminuation factors in the best way, so let's go with
division - divide them by a number very close to 1.

Doing so might alter the divisor method's optimal divisor, which is why
I say that doing it indirectly is probably easier. This is also the
reason we only adjust the factors slightly: deweighting some candidate
might lead another to get more than one seat.

There are also two ways to se the goal criterion for adjusting the
diminuation factors. Say that candidate A has 2.4 seats according to the
least divisor that gives the right rounded total number of seats. Then
one may adjust the diminuation factor until A has some value < 1.5, or
until A has exactly one seat. The latter is more "greedy" than the
former, and I'm not sure about the implications - the former seems more
right, but it may make voters regret their vote to a greater degree.

Let's show that again, as an example. Say the sums are: