[EM] How did local IRV affect CA state elections?

⸘Ŭalabio‽ Walabio at MacOSX.Com
Tue Dec 14 18:52:53 PST 2010

> 	Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:30:04 -0500, “Robert Bristow-Johnson” <Rbj at Audioimagination.Com>:

> 	On Dec 13, 2010, at 5:18 PM, ??alabio? wrote:
>
>> 	Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:14:00 -0800 (PST), ?Sand W? <b4peas at yahoo
>> .com>:

>>> 	It would/will  be great if any student of statistics will do a
>>> statistical regression on these two bay-area elections, to prove
>>> that higher voter turnout in CA's IRV-modernized cities made the
>>> difference for Kamala Harris and Jerry McNerney.

>> 	The first thing to do is determine whether a phenomenon exists.
>> This could be nothing more than post hoc proctor ergo hoc.  I see no
>> reason to believe that IRV would increase turnout.

> 	do you mean that the turnout in the IRV election is no greater than
> turnout in a regular election?  i might agree.

	¡You got it!:

	The question is whether the turnout for the IRV-Election as part of the general election increased, thus effecting state-races.  Your hypothesis about people not bothering to show for runoffs is interesting and probably true, but not the issue at stake here.

	“Sand W” <b4peas at yahoo.com>, December 14, 2010 4:03:18 PM GMT:

> 	IRV increases turnout because there is a greater chance that one person's vote will make a difference.

	That maybe true; but democratically however, ¿why not use a good voting method for luring them into the election like Condorcet, or better yet however, Score-Voting?