[EM] A Comparison of the Two Known Monotone, Clone Free Methods for Electing Uncovered Alternatives

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Dec 4 03:17:15 PST 2010

Hi again,

I wrote:
> Unfortunately, I fear Short Ranked Pairs might not be monotonic. One
> would habe to check. And I'm not sure your description of an algorithm
> for Short Ranked Pairs is valid -- after all, I only defined it
> abstractly by saying that one has to find the "lexicographically maximal
> short acyclic set" without giving an algorithm to find it.

Maybe my gut-feeling was incorrect. Short Ranked Pairs is probably
monotonic. As it is also clone-proof and uncovered, we really have a
third type of method with those three properties, just as Kristofer
remarked!

Now why should it be monotonic? Assume that...

s(x,y) is the strength of the defeat x>y,

s1>s2>s3... is the descending sequence of all defeat strengths,

x1>y1,x2>y2,x3>y3,... are the corresponding defeats,

D is the lexicographically maximal short acyclic set of defeats,

w is the top option of D

and I is the set of ranks i of defeats in the above numbering that
belong to D, so that

D = { xi>yi : i in I }.

Then no defeat x>w is in D, hence all defeats w>y are in D since
otherwise adding them won't construct a cycle.

Now assume some defeat w>a is reinforced, moving it up in the ordering
x1>y1,x2>y2,x3>y3,... by one place. Let j be the index of w>a in this
list before the reinforcing, so that w=xj, a=yj. Also introduce a new
numbering of the defeats corresponding to the new ranking of defeats:

x'1>y'1,x'2>y'2,x'3>y'3,...

Then x'i=xi and y'i=yi for all i different from j and j-1,
and x'j=x(j-1), y'j=y(j-1), x'(j-1)=xj=w, y'(j-1)=yj=a.
D consists of those defeats x'i>y'i with ranks i in the new set

J = I with j and j-1 exchanged.

We will prove that after the reinforcing, D is still lexicographically
maximal. Assume that it is not. Then there is another short acyclic set
of defeats D' that is lexicographically larger than D in the new ranking
of defeats. Hence there is some new rank k such that the defeat x'k>y'k
is in D' but not in D, and such that for all i<k, the defeat x'i>y'i is
either in both D' and D or in neither of the two.

If k were different from j-1, then D' would be already lexicographically
larger than D in the original ranking of defeats, which was not the case
as D was maximal there.

But k can't be j-1 since the defeat x'(j-1)>y'(j-1) is the defeat w>a
and thus belongs to D. Hence there is no such D' as assumed, D is still
lexicographically maximal, and w is still the winner after the
reinforcement of the defeat w>a. That is, Short Ranked Pairs is monotonic.

> I propose to proceed as follows: Check how that lexicographically
> maximal short acyclic set can be found in the simpler case in which we
> define defeat strength as approval of defeating option.

This is still open and I don't see a simple algorithm coming to my mind...