[EM] Compromise allocation of fair share (was Fair and Democratic versus Majority Rules)

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Dec 13 16:02:37 PST 2010

I just changed the thread name to reflect the current thrust more accurately.

Here's my best elaboration of the compromise allocation idea in the Party list PR setting:

1.  Anybody and everybody (corporations included, since the supreme court wants it that way) can nominate seat
allocations to their hearts' content.  Let S be the set of all such nominated seat allocations.

2.  Each voter submits a ballot that either directly ranks all of the members of S, or else gives a well defined set of
criteria for ordering them.  Call this set of ballots Beta.

3.  Each voter submits a function of the allocation percentages f(p1, p2, ...)=f(p) which (like a linear combination
a1*p1+a2*p2+...) is homogeneous of degree one.  This just means that  f(t*p)=t*f(p).  Call this set of of functions Phi

4.  Use the members of Beta to eliminate all of the Pareto dominated allocations from S.   Let S' be the set of
remaining nominatated allocations.

5.  The winning allocation is determined by the member p of S' that maximizes
             the product (over f in Phi) of f(p) .

In other words, the respective parties P1, P2, ...get respective proportions p1 : p2 :  ...  of the seats.

With this method it turns out that each faction of size large enough to merit k seats can guarantee their favorite party
P_j that many seats by submitting identical bullet ballots f(p)=p_j.

I'll outline a proof and give some examples in subsequent posts.

Forest