[EM] bullet voting and strategy on Approval ballots.

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Aug 31 09:39:44 PDT 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Juho wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2010, at 10:13 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>
>> On Aug 29, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Warren Smith wrote:
>
> ... long discussion on Approval and IRV ...
>
>>> These foundational problems strongly suggest that the entire area
>>> of rank-
>>> order ballots, was a mistake, a road that should never have been
>>> taken.
>>

>> i know (and respect) that such is the product you're selling.
>> similarly to how FairVote sells IRV.
>
> Yes, FairVote and RangeVoting have some similarities :-).

and i'm still waiting for someone to tell me how i should mark
(Approval or Score) a candidate who is neither my favorite nor my most
despised.  i know that my favorite gets approval=1 or score=99 and
that Satan gets approval=0 and score=00, but what should Jimmy Carter
and Gandhi and Hitler get?

and then, even if someone gives me an answer for that, then how is
that not an act of strategic voting?  is there no strategy involved
when deciding to approve or score a candidate who you might marginally
approve of and is not your favorite?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com