[EM] the "bullet voting" bogeyman for range/approval voting

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sat Aug 28 09:11:32 PDT 2010

  The "degenerate to plurality voting" concern is easy to disprove --
even/ plurality/ doesn't degenerate to pure plurality voting, because in
every plurality election there are overvotes.

In fact, in the infamous Florida debacle of 2000, *there were more
overvotes than people who voted for Ralph Nader *-- 111,251 overvotes
versus about 97,000 for Nader (it's sadly amusing to see people complain
about Nader being in the race while ignoring an even bigger issue). In
other words,  people /accidentally/ cast an Approval ballot more often
than they /purposely/ voted for the "spoiler." I can't imagine any
scenario where there would be /fewer/ Approval ballots, if they were
counted instead of being tossed out.

Here's a USAToday link of Florida overvotes in 2000:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2001-05-10-overvotetable.htm

Michael Rouse